Recent Events



First surveyed in 1873, the town, located on the Dunmunkle Creek was originally known as Lallat, but by 1876 had become known as Rupanyup, an Aboriginal word meaning, “branch hanging over water”.

Points of Interest

The striking central plantation and landscaped area that divides the Wimmera Highway as it passes through the centre of town entices the weary traveller to stop, relax and soak up the atmosphere of this delightful Wimmera Township.


Woods' Farming and Heritage Museum

Located on the Wimmera Highway, this is an amazing collection of stationary engines, tractors, tools and farm and household memorabilia. Displays show many of the items in context and there is truly something for everyone.  Open by appointment only - phone 0427 159 154 (any time) or 03 5385 5036 (evenings only).

Cust’s Store

In the middle of town is an example of an old-style general store and is named after one of the first shops erected within the town.  It currently houses Rupanyup Living, a home & giftwares store, also selling many local products.

The Old Flour Mill

Located in Gibson Street, it is an early and rare example of a portable mill of galvanized iron construction and is adjacent to the first reinforced concrete silo’s built in the southern hemisphere. These were designed by Sir John Monash and erected in 1909.

Jack Emmett Billabong and Rupanyup Memorial Park

A relatively recent addition to the attractions of the town is an artificial lake.  Surrounded by native trees and shrubs, the lake has been constructed next to the highway at the northern end of town by the local Lions Club. Caravan and camping facilities are also provided - phone 0448 782 834 for bookings.

Go to top